Welcome to "Only Mark"
A blog for my random tales that truly seem to only happen to me. Enjoy!

Friday, October 19, 2007

What's in Mark's DVR? - Dancing with the Stars

DANCING WITH THE STARS
Mondays, 9pm, ABC

I started watching this show last fall during season 3 and, let me say, I was hooked. Lame, I know, but I still love it and get sucked in easily. It's actually one of the few reality shows I watch (save for all those real estate/flipping shows...I pretty much watch all of them). I think I started watching it b/c a co-worker always raved about it, or maybe it was a friend, or maybe a combination of people, but anyway, the point is I started.

Here's some fun back story on Mark. For 6 years growing up (from 6th-12th grade) I took Cotillion Classes (and no, before you ask, this is not the same as Debutantes, it was definitely co-ed) . In these classes we learned etiquette, proper social skills, and, of course, ballroom dancing. I can't remember specifically what we learned, as I've taken a few other dance classes since then and they kinda blend together, but I know we learned to Waltz, Foxtrot, Rumba, Cha Cha, and Swing. (Funny enough, I also learned to Tush Push there, as we would usually learn one line dance at our "casual night" each year.) I'm pretty sure there was at least one more, but I can't think of it. This actually was quite beneficial, as it not only taught me to dance and helped make me so etiquette focused, but also helped me not feel awkward around girls, as I had to ask one to dance once a week for years, and helped put me in some of the good social circles in school. If I still lived back home, I'd be quite well connected.

Anyway, so I know how to dance, which helped me like this show, since I actually knew what they were doing. And I was amazed at how well some of the celebrities were. I mean, granted they got intense lessons for several hours each week, but I know a lot of people can't even find a beat (ahem...Billy Ray Cyrus) so they wouldn't even stand a chance. The first season I watched I was pulling for Mario Lopez the whole time. He was an amazing dancer and ended up getting to number 2. In my opinion, he was better than Emmitt Smith, who won, but Emmitt did have a bit more charisma. Season 4, last spring, I was throwing my vast influence in the ballroom dancing competition world behind Laila Ali. I think when I first saw Laila do a ballroom dance I was so amazed at how gracefully elegant she looked (which was unexpected, considering she's a boxer) I knew she had what it took to go all the way. Sadly, she too was robbed, only getting to 3rd place...she definitely was better the Joey Fatone.

So far this season, I've not really fallen in love with anyone and am not vested in any of the competitors. I mean Mel B is good and should hang around for awhile, but probably doesn't have what it takes to win. Helio is also very good and is a bit unexpected in my opinion too. Sabrina is far and away the best and, barring any major mishaps, should go on to win it. I will say...her Paso Doble this week was AMAZING!!

While I always love the energy and sensuality of the latin dances, my two favorite dances by far are the Waltz and the Paso Doble. Anyway...that's my take on DWTS!

PS - I'm glad Samantha is back as co-hosting. She may have her ditzy moments, but she's much better than Drew LeChay was at it. He needs a real job...someone should tell him that he is not actually employed by DWTS. Oh, and at the risk of sounding like a complete sexist pig and being entirely inappropriate...but it was very clear with that dress she was wearing this week that she is very clearly breast feeding the new baby. Did anyone else notice that? Yikes!

No comments: