Welcome to "Only Mark"
A blog for my random tales that truly seem to only happen to me. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Outdoor Concerts

So, today was a great day. It was the first Saturday in a long time that I didn't have to work. Well, the first Saturday in a while that I didn't have to work and was actually in town. And, since I got to go to the football game on Thursday night, I didn't have to spend my free day watching the Gamecocks beat some unsuspecting team this week.

To start my day, I got to sleep in. I mean, truly sleep in...not just sleep a little later than normal, but one of those really good sleeps where you really have no pressing reason to get up, so you can stay in bed as long as you want to. That's a great feeling and one I truly miss about Saturdays. Then, I thought I was going to have to go by the office of job #1 for a little bit, but I called up my boss and (surprise!), she didn't make it to the office so said there would be no point in me going. Sounded good to me, so I laid around the house a bit longer.

The little town I live in had planned a little street party (well, roofto
p party, to be exact) on the top of the parking garage of the "mall" across the street from me. Having nothing else to do, I had planned to go on over...if for no other reason than to see The Tams, (also here) a great old Beach Music band that's been touring the Southeast for almost 50 years. I've seen The Tams perform a few times before and they always put on a great show, and this time was no different. They were the first act on, so when I heard them start playing, I decided it was time to get dressed, walk across the street and enjoy. As always, The Tams put on a great show and I enjoyed myself, although the crowd was light (probably because it was at 2:00 in the afternoon and they were the first group) and was almost all older people (which is to be expected for the town I live in). I couldn't find anyone to go with me, which means I had no one to shag with, but I just bought a glass of merlot and a slice of pizza and enjoyed the show. I tried taking some pictures for you, but apparently I don't really know how to work the camera on my cell phone, so I stole some pictures from the Tams website for you.

After the Tams performed, some other band was supposed to come on, but they took too long to set up and it was no one I had heard of...looked kinda like some teenage group with nothing much to offer. Maybe I was selling them short, but I didn't feel like hanging around so I went home. Then I grabbed something to eat, did some yard work, then went up to church to hang out with some friends. I did enjoy hearing the rest of the bands performing at the concert while I was doing my yardwork, so in effect, I guess I did get to hear most of the groups toady. All in all, a good day.

The real point of this post, however, was to editorialize a bit on outdoor concerts. I know this isn't a uniquely South Carolina thing, but it seems it really is the thing to do here. All fall and throughout the spring you can find an outdoor concert (usually free) pretty much at least once a week somewhere around this city. And I gotta say...I love them! There's very few better ways to spend an afternoon or evening to me then just hanging out outside in good weather, having a little food and some drinks and listening to some good music. It really fits with the culture here too...people are laid back and kinda down home, and they certainly enjoy their alcohol! Like I said, I know these aren't unique to SC, but they do seem to go perfectly with the southern way of life!

Well, LSU and UF are battling it out on TV and (for once) I'm actually pulling for the Gators, so I'd better get back to cheering them on! Catch ya later!


No comments: