Welcome to "Only Mark"
A blog for my random tales that truly seem to only happen to me. Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Lazy Blogger

Sorry for the complete lack of posting lately. I'm just gonna churn out a quick update since it's late and I have an early morning tomorrow.

Yeah, I've been a bit lazy lately, I guess. No running, no posting...what have I been doing?

Let's see, since last we met, I went to the tree lighting for my town, which they conveniently held across the street from me. Of course, they later moved the tree down to city hall, but I guess they've decided to start doing more community events by me. There's a mall across the street which is undergoing a major rehabbing (read: vacant) but it has a big parking garage which, due to a lack of customers, is pretty much always empty, so the city likes to host it's events on the roof of the garage. Works for me! I grabbed the neighbor (her roommate had oral
surgery earlier in the day, so was out of commission) and we headed over. It was a good time. Free food, some strange calypso band playing non-Christmas music (random) and a million people. Well, okay, maybe a thousand or so (at least a few hundred) but considering within the city limits of where I live there's only technically about 10,000 residents, that's way more than I expected. Actually, I'm kinda surprised the city does a big tree lighting at all b/c my city has a very strong Jewish Community (both of the major Temples in the Columbia area and the Jewish Community Center are located within our city limits). I told the neighbor we needed to find me a girlfriend. She replied that we needed to find her a boyfriend. Always the practical one, I recommended that we just pool our efforts, find a cute couple and split them up. That way, we each get one but only have to do half the work. Plus there are WAAAAY more couples around here than single people anyway, so I'm sure it won't be that hard. She did bring up the point that if we did that we probably couldn't be friends anymore since significant others would hate us. I told her I was willing to make the sacrifice. :)

Friday, I mentioned that I had to go out of town for a seminar for work. I did. The seminar was, like all work seminars, informative, but overly so. I was done taking in information long before they were done talking. Plus, it started too early in the morning. Ugh! Oh well, it's done and taking that class will be making me a lot of money soon. :) Instead of burning up the highway to get back home, I decided to hang out in Charlotte for the rest of the evening. As always, I enjoyed myself there, but that's a story for another post. Hopefully I'll put that up by the end of the week.

Saturday I slept ridiculously late b/c I got in from Charlotte late and because I pretty much had no sleep Friday night. The no sleep was partly because of me staying up to get stuff done and partly due to a 3 AM random phone call from a frien
d. While it is a funny story, it's not mine to tell. When she gets a blog and posts about it, maybe I'll link to it for you! After I woke up, I went to the condo of my suitemate from freshman year for a big holiday dinner he started doing a couple years ago. He invites a bunch of us over and has a big turkey and various other "fixin's" and we just catch up and relax, family dinner style. It was good, but I certainly did not know as many people as years past. That also reminds me of another observation I've made about many of my friends. But again...for another post. I had plans to go to an event with some other friends later in the evening, but was really just too tired. I decided I needed a night in for a change. I did catch up with a friend later in the night at like 10:30 or 11 or so and he wanted to come over. We rented a movie and hung out for a bit. I popped some popcorn and finished off a bottle of wine I uncorked the other day. It was nice. Between the Holiday dinner and the movie, however, I probably had about 1 and a quarter bottles of wine on Saturday though...oops! :)

Sunday again I slept in. I don't know what it was about this weekend, but I guess I needed some sleep! I ran a few errands in the afternoon, tuned into our weekly conference call for work and snuggled up to my Sunday night shows...here and here. (Don't think I've forgotten about What's in Mark's DVR...they're still coming, just delayed. I'll probably have time for that when we run out of episodes next week thanks to the stupid writers' strike! Grrr!) Oh yeah, during these shows I also pulled out my Christmas decorations and started some light decorating.

Monday I went to work, came home, went running, then went to buy a Christmas tree. I only use real trees every year! A fake one just doesn't cut it for me, I don't know why. Plus, the smell is nice. I was very pleased with the tree I ended up with - and it was pretty much the first one I grabbed! Maybe someday soon I'll begin sharing with you old Christmas memories and family "traditions," if you will, of how things normally go at Christmas. I'm much more low-maintenance around the holidays than my family is, so it's always a nice refreshing change to me. Anyway, now the house is all decorated and I'm pleased!

Today was work, got my car washed, went running, met a friend for dinner (same one as Sunday night) then came home to my TV.

Oh yeah...as far as my pledge last week to run twice on Wednesday and Thursday...didn't happen. I did manage to make it out once on one of those nights, but I just went about a mile or so around the neighborhood. Yesterday when I went, I ran two miles around the neighborhood which was intense, considering I'd been on running-sabbatical for so long, but I was proud I could do it. Oh yeah, also when I run in the neighbor
hood, I have plenty of hills here, as opposed to the park, which is relatively flat. Today I ran at the park, but decided I needed to try for 2.5 miles since I could obviously survive 2 miles on hills. I'm very proud to say I did it, but it probably wasn't the best idea. My legs were already a bit tense from pushing myself yesterday, and so about a mile and a half into tonight's run my knee started getting a little sore. I definitely felt every step from then on, but I persevered! It wasn't an unbearable pain as long as I kept it moving, but after sitting down for dinner and what not, it's actually quite sore now. Argh! Hopefully a good night's rest will heal it up, but no running tomorrow! I guess it's my first exercise related pain, which is kinda cool. That means I am pushing myself, so mission accomplished! Although, I am a bit disappointed in you, readers! Only one of you actually held me to my pledge of running like I asked you to! And to be fair, he only asked me once! What kind of friends are you?

Well, I guess the post wasn't all that short per se, but it was fairly quick for me to write. I think that's all I promised. I did somehow manage to create at least 3 more posts in my mind during this one though. I guess I've created more work for myself!

It promises to be a busy week at work this week and the weekend has plenty of plans too, but I'm going to try my hardest to get lots of content up for you since next week I'll be out of town for almost the whole week. Details will come later....crap, now that's 4 posts I have to write! I'd better stop!

No comments: