Welcome to "Only Mark"
A blog for my random tales that truly seem to only happen to me. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Kinda a crappy day

In stark contrast to my last post, Wednesday was overall kinda a crappy day. I wasn't feeling particularly great Wednesday morning, so I decided not to go into work. I probably could have pushed my way through physically, but mentally just wasn't really there for the day, so I just rolled over and went back to sleep. I actually ended up staying in bed pretty much all day. I got up for a little bit in the afternoon to make some calls I needed for work, then grabbed my laptop and hopped back in bed.

I kinda napped and rested for a bit longer and then got online and was checking e-mail, etc. Finally, at like 10 or 10:30pm, I decided I needed to eat something, so I wandered off to the kitchen. Tuesday I thought I'd branch out from my norm and try making some chili to eat. True to my normal amazing culinary skills (please read the extreme sarcasm in that statement...I'm laying it on pretty thick here folks), the food didn't end up all that good. Actually, I managed to burn the chili and it was all stuck to the bottom of the pot. So, I had it soaking in the sink so I could clean it.

Well, before cooking I decided to try to clean up a bit and clean out that pot. When I dumped the chili-laden water into the sink and turn on the disposal. Instead of going down the drain, however, the other half of my sink started filling up. Yeah...my drain was clogged! I tried some Drain-O, but no dice. Great! Now at 11:00 at night, I'm going to have to put on clothes, head to Wal-Mart and buy plumbing tools. I was too hungry to do that at the moment, so I microwaved some food, moved to the sofa and started chatting with some friends online.

After chatting for a while, I notice my internet isn't working. For some reason, I'm still able to talk on AIM, but can't load a web page. I rebooted the computer and now I couldn't even sign online at all! Arggh! I tried plugging my computer directly into my wireless router...nothing. Tried plugging directly into the modem...nada. Tried everything I knew and still couldn't make it work. Soooo, then I called Time Warner to see what was wrong with my modem. Fortunately, I hate them so much and have had to call them with complaints/issues so many times before that I knew their number by heart. The lovely little automated recording told me that there were "outages in my area and service was expected to be restored in 90 minutes." Lovely...guess those conversations I was in the middle of are now over!

I decided it was a good time to head to the store and begin my plumbing oddessy. So now I'm driving up to the store and I get pulled over! Well, not entirely pulled over...it would be more honest to say I had a run-in with one of the laziest and dumbest cops around. As I was driving by doing about 45 mph or so, he pulls out of a parking lot behind me and follows me into the Wal-Mart parking lot. He never turns his lights on or anything, but just stops behind my car as I pull into my parking space. As I get out of the car, he rolls a window down and says something to the effect of "Hey fast car, you need to slow down out there on [street name]." I kinda looked at him and said, "Oh, I'm sorry. What's the speed limit out there?" To which he replied "It's 35." I said, "Oh, sorry. I didn't know" and walked into the store. haha First of all...that had to be the laziest cop in the world. I mean, who makes a traffic stop without even getting out of the car? I have a hunch that had I not been a decently dressed young white guy, he might have cared more about how I was driving. Secondly, that is a very very dumb move for a cop, and I know is rather against protocol. I mean, I don't care if you are in a well lit parking lot, no cop should ever just wait for someone to get out of the car. I could've gotten out with any kind of weapon or anything and taken him out if I had other charges pending or something. What a moron! Thirdly...the speed limit on that road was, as I suspected, 40 miles an hour (I made a point to check on the way home). I knew it was either 40 or 45 so was driving somewhere in that range, so I wasn't even speeding! Who knows what his plan was, but at least I didn't get a ticket...that would've just been the icing on the cake for the night.

I got what I needed and headed back home. When I got home, I heard a steady dripping sound coming from the kitchen so I thought...great, the Drain-O has helped some and it's slowly draining now. Instead, I walked into the kitchen and stepped in a big puddle and looked to the chili-laden water dripping out of my dishwasher! Yeah, gravity pulled the bulk of the water out from my sink, through the drain line and into the dishwasher, which had become so filled with water, it was beginning to leak out. Ugh!!! I went out to the shed, grabbed some old towels and began to mop up my floor. Once that was under control, I snaked the drain and was able to loosen the clog and it drained. Of course at that point I had to re-wash all the clean dishes I had sitting in the sink, run the dishwasher to drain it, and clean up the mess left by the standing water.

Now, thanks to sleeping all day, I'm up all night, unable to sleep...so Thursday's gonna be a long one too. Add this to the stuff that's been on my mind (as I mentioned in my previous post) and it's just been interesting this week. Ugh!!!

1 comment:

K said...

:::Virtual HUG:::

That cop is ridiculous....but we both know had it been me driving your whip, lil K would have been in jail.

LOL!