Welcome to "Only Mark"
A blog for my random tales that truly seem to only happen to me. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Birthday Fun!

Well, this has already been a fun week. I definitely have to put a post up about how I spent Tuesday evening and Wednesday. It was AMAZING!! (I'll give you a hint...I was doing this!)

My actual birthday was Thursday, and I really didn
't do anything exciting then. To be honest, I was kinda in a grumpy mood for some reason, but oh well...I'm over that now. The real celebration will be happening today however.

In a few hours, I'll be heading out to the Carolina Cup. Conveniently, this event falls on my birthday week pretty much every year, so it is quickly becoming a tradition that my birthday is celebrated at it. Now, for those of you not in the South or familiar with horse races, you're probably thinking....
"Seriously Mark, that's how you're celebrating your 25th birthday? What?!"
To which I would reply that it really has little to do wit
h the horses. To be quite honest, most people never even see the horses. The only time I ever see them is when I want to cross the track to get into the infield and wander through the rich people's tailgates, at which point you have to wait for the horses to finish their race before they let you cross. They actually kinda get in the way more than anything.
No, no, no! The Carolina Cup has about as much to do with horse racing as The Real World does with...well...the real world (seriously...does anyone still even watch that? I think I gave up after New Orleans...geez, I'm soo old!). The Cup is THE premier event marking the threshold of the spring social season here in South Carolina. Some of the elite socialites get all dressed up to go tailgate all day long. About 75,000 people descend upon the small town of Camden, SC, to sit in traffic, drink heavily, socialize, see and be seen. I guess it's kinda like the Southern version of Fashion Week?
"What's the appropriate attire to stand in a field drinking all day?" you ask?
Well, men should wear slacks (seersucker or other lightweight pants preferred), oxford shirts and bow ties (yes...I said BOW ties). Need help tying one? Try this. And ladies should find a nice little sun dress and matching big floppy hat. Proper attire dictates that men should wear bucks or other loafers and women should be in heels or sandals, however unless you're among the truly elite, a pair of Rainbows will suffice.
"What does one have at their tailgate for the Cup?" I hear you asking.
Well, alcohol is a necessity. Cold beers are always on hand (although, I personally hate beer, so refuse to drink it), but tradition dictates that mint juleps are the official cocktail. My tailgate this year will feature beer (my guests' insistence), sangria, and frozen daiquiris, among other things. A good spread of food, should also be on hand. I've seen people before with elaborate centerpieces for their tailgates (flower arrangements that had to cost $100+) and even saw a group one year who reserved an extra parking space just for the caterers they brought with them. They had the silver serving dishes set out and everything! While college students often arrive in buses, once you get a bit older, many people charter limos to take them there so they don't have to worry about having a DD. Yeah...you've not been to the South until you see wealthy white people in funny outfits tailgating in a field out of the trunk of a limo. :)

I'm pretty excited this year. I got a new pair of seersucker pants (I've never worn seersucker before) and even ordered a new bow tie for the occasion!! Several of my friends have come into town to join me, so we're going to have about 15 or 20 people tailgating with us!! Woo Hoo!! We have to leave my house at about 8am this morning to get a good parking spot (all the reserved spots sold out a month or two ago). We're hoping to get one near "College Park," which is where all the fraternities from across SC and even parts of NC and GA set up camp. They bring their huge tailgating tents, have kegs everywhere, and some even get live bands to come play. The weather this year is supposed to be a little bit cool for the sun dresses and all, and may even bring a bit a rain later in the day, but we should have a great time anyway!

Come on...you know you're jealous that YOU don't get to wear a bow tie!!

PS - One of my favorite Southern quotes came from a friend getting ready for Cup a few years ago. When she found out that you couldn't carry your beer bottles around with you she immediately and sincerely stated
"Well, I'm going to have to find a green cup then."
"Why does it have to be green?"
"Because my dress is green and I will NOT be seen walking around with a cup that doesn't match my dress!"
Haha...gotta love the South! We have our standards!

No comments: