Welcome to "Only Mark"
A blog for my random tales that truly seem to only happen to me. Enjoy!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ugh...I was totally cruised...Jim McGreevey Style!

A couple weeks ago I decided to run down to Charleston to visit a friend. I haven't blogged about it yet and probably won't get around to it beyond this, so I'll give a brief run down now. Don't worry...I'll tell the part about getting cruised too...I know that's all you people care about anyway, freaks! :) You can just skip down there now if you want...it won't hurt my feelings, hahaha!

The weekend was a good time and a much needed escape for both me and my friend. It was kinda a last minute trip, so I didn't get in until really late on Friday night. Didn't do much then other than go to the friend's house, hang out for a bit and go to bed.

Saturday we slept in a bit, ran across town for some lunch and minor stalking. haha! Seriously, this is how random I am...especially when I get with this friend. We walk out of the restaurant and on the way to the car she says "Oh, while we're over here let's go do a little stalking," to which I replied very non-chalantly "Ok, sounds good." hahahaha This friend lived across the hall from me freshman year of college and we used to do all kinds of random crap like that...until she moved back to Charleston last May...grrr!! Anyway, I'd hardly call what we did stalking anyway...I'm a much more sophisticated stalker than that. We actually just rode by where her ex-bf worked to see if his new car was out there. After that, we rolled back into downtown and walked up and down King Street and did a bit of shopping. She took me down by the Market and we walked by her favorite wine bar. Fortunately for us, as we walked by I happened to notice that they opened at 4:00 and it was now 4:15...perfect time to start drinking!!!

We went in, grabbed a glass of wine, did some people watching (these girls came in and sat next to us that had all kinds of piercings...it was gross) and relaxed a bit. Later that night, we picked up a couple of her friends (sooo fun!!) and headed over to someone else's house who was having a wine party. We made an appearance there, had some wine, I had a sword fight in the living room with one of the friends (apparently the swords were decorative, but we used them as weapons) and rolled out. We headed back across town to a little bar on the beach to hear some 80's cover band that they all loved. I had about 3 more margaritas during this time and we had a really good time. The place didn't have a big crowd, but it was about 26 degrees that night, so I guess everyone was hibernating. I was screaming out Bon Jovi lyrics all night and lost my voice for a few days after that, but it was all good.

Slept in again Sunday morning, got some lunch, then drove across town to the BMW dealership to look at cars/possibly test drive them. Yeah...I've got her to become nearly as obsessed with them as I am and we'll both likely be purchasing them for our next cars. She'll probably be looking in the next 6 months or so, so we were justified in test driving, haha. Unfortunately, the dealership was closed on Sundays (I HATE it when dealerships close on Sundays). I just went home after that. It was a good weekend.

Okay...onto the CRUISING
Yeah, so I'm driving into Charleston on Friday, and, like I said, it was late at night. I get to the Charleston area at about 1:30 am and really had to go to the bathroom. My friend lives on the opposite side of town so I knew I had at least half an hour left to go and didn't know how many gas stations would still be open at that time of night, so I just pulled into a rest area right outside of town. When I pulled in, there was just one other car there and that belonged to a guy who was waiting outside for his girlfriend. I went into the rest area, did my business and walked back to the car.

As I'm walking back, this truck pulls up and parks in the spot right next to mine. I thought it was a little odd, but just figured he wanted to be closer to the sidewalk or something so I just ignored it. Got back into my car and cranked it up to get the heat running again and started looking around for the directions to my friends house. When I was looking around, I glanced out my passenger window and realized this guy was still sitting in his truck...staring at me...with his window down (it was 24 degrees at the time!)!! What's worse, when I glanced over there, he gave me one of those head nods to say "Sup?" or something. I just kinda gave him a funny look and went back to reading my directions. Mind you...I have pretty dark tinted windows on my car, so he had to be staring hard core to even realize I had looked in that direction. As I'm reading my directions, I'm very much aware that he is STILL sitting in his car...clearly not trying to get out and use the bathroom! When I'm done with my directions (it's been about a minute or two by now) the other couple backs out of their parking space down the row and I decide it's time to go (I'm not gonna be left alone with this guy!). I put the car in reverse look behind me out the passenger side again to back up. And again, he's still staring, still has the window down and gives me another head nod! Seriously buddy? What!? I just back out and start to drive off. Of course, I'm watching him in the rear view mirror as I leave to see what his next move is. Sure enough, he just puts the truck in reverse and leaves the rest area! Yeah...he was definitely just there trying to get all Jim McGreevey on me!

Okay, seriously now, people! Is this somehow okay in some people's minds? I mean of all the gay guys I know...I don't think any of them are the type of people who would go to a rest area looking for sex!? (Granted, I've never met Larry Craig or Bob Allen, but still.) I know I'd certainly never go there looking for a woman...and even if I accidentally found one there...I don't think I'd want to keep one that was willing to have rest area sex. To all my friendly gay readers (and maybe even the unfriendly gay readers, if you're out there), please let me know...is this acceptable in the gay underworld that I don't know about? haha I mean...of all the ways men have tried to pick me up...this is among the skeeziest. Granted...this guy did appear to be under 30 (although fat) and he didn't appear to be homeless...so it's definitely not the skeeziest pick-up I've ever had attempted on me(hahaha...someone remind me to blog about "Man-Fun Guy" and "Homeless Man" sometime...funny stories!) but still! I'm just glad he didn't pull up 3 minutes earlier when I was still standing at the urinal! There definitely would have been some of this action, haha!!

Cruised at a rest area outside of Charleston at 1:30 am...haha...Who else, but me?! Oh Lord!

4 comments:

K said...

LOL...yea it is kinda skivvy, but then again...I prob shouldn't talk because I got cruised on the subway and I kinda thought it was exciting.

LOL!

I didn't know any better....and everything was so new. Forgive me....hehe!

Also, you know my mind is in the gutter b/c when you starting talking about sword fighting earlier in this post I was like..."wha...Mark whiped out his dick?"

Only Mark said...

haha...no K. The sword fighting was more like fencing, but with samurai swords.

JUSTIN said...

K needs to get laid. Soon.

I would venture to guess that what you experienced is NOT normal behavior within the gay community. Ugh, that's just gross...maybe that was cool in the 70's, but times have changed.

Anonymous said...

wow dude, that was NOTHING as far as cruising goes.. at least you were in the safety of your own car [alone] as opposed to being propositioned inside the bathroom! i have some wild stories of my own, much more graphic and gross than just a nod "hey". and btw imagine how much more of that stuff happens in the bathroom of a gay bar!!

i stumbled on your blog by a random search. hope it's cool to leave my two cents here...

i'm a gay guy and i kinda figured by now that most str8 people knew about how prevalent the whole gay cruising thing is. justin, it IS fairly normal behavior in the gay community. it has no relation to how cheap or classy or ugly or hot or skeezy the guy is -- rest stops and other cruising spots are the main way that some gay guys meet for sex.

what are some other options? wasting hours and hours online mixing with flaky guys who either lie about themselves or have no intention of actually meeting? showing up at a local gay bar and socializing with the scary mix of everything gay that shows up? it's usually not a pretty sight, trust me. not to mention the wackos that look for trouble targeting fags who go to the bar [i can't imagine what drives someone to waste their time and energy doing something so evil and pointless unless they have a personal issue to work thru].

my theory about why there's so much cruising for sex is that it's fast, easy, no-strings action that allows a guy to get off and go on with his life without having to deal with a messy "relationship" situation with another guy, which is a major social taboo in most places on earth. [hell, it actually gets some people killed!] this explains for me how many MARRIED MEN cruise that type of situation.. they can get off with a guy and go home to their wife. maybe you have no idea how common that is.. but just believe me on that one. many, many married guys.

think about this: among the things str8 people say they don't like about gay people is the anonymous sex and loose morals. so they stand strong against accepting things like gay marriage and equal rights. which forces gay people to stay as hidden as possible and avoid relationships which would expose them more easily. which allows them fewer outlets for having a healthy sex life and makes quick, anonymous sex more attractive as an option. and then people complain about their loose morals.

a viscious cycle.

maybe if it were more ok to be gay you'd see more healthy gay choices. ah but then you'd see more gay choices... and that's a problem with most of the population.

it ain't easy being gay, even when the social climate "seems" to allow for it. hey i'm not being a whiny bitch about it... it is what it is. just putting a little info in your lap that you might not normally be exposed to.

oops i practically wrote a goddamn book...! sorry bout that. peace, man..

-- DJ